Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any other questions about the courses we offer, the training programme or about Huddersfield Horizon then please get in touch. Our team will be happy to help.

What are the entry requirements?

Relevant school experience
You will be required to complete school-based experience prior to starting your course with Huddersfield Horizon. Our team can hyelp you gain this experience should you need to do so – please get in touch.

GCSEs & Degree
A GCSE pass at Grade C or higher in English, Maths and Science for Primary candidates. A GCSE pass at Grade C or higher in Maths and English for Secondary candidates. Equivalency tests may be accepted in lieu of GCSEs.

You must have already achieved, or must be in the process of achieving a degree.

Overseas trained teachers will need to provide evidence that their qualifications allow them to teach in their own countries and that these qualifications are equivalent to UK qualifications (this information can be obtained from NARIC).

Literacy & Numeracy Skills test
You will be required to have passed the Literacy and Numeracy Skills Tests before taking up your training place with Huddersfield Horizon. You are not required to have applied and passed these tests before interview, however we strongly advise you to take these as soon as possible.

Which schools will I be placed in for my training?

Huddersfield Horizon ensure that you are placed in 2 contrasting schools, to give you a the best, and most varied experience possible. We work with a range of schools, each with unique challenges and strengths, meaning that you are able to gain valuable experience throughout your training.

How long does the SCITT training last?

Your training will span the full academic year. SCITT training allows you to hit the ground running.

How much does training cost?

Tuition fees are £9,000 for QTS with PGCE.

What qualification do I receive from the course?

All trainees who complete the SCITT course with Huddersfield Horizon will do so with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Qualified teacher status is required in England and Wales to work as a teacher of children in state schools under local authority control, and in special education schools.

Trainees graduate with a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).